Burial Expenses of Veteran for A&A

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katmandu, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Katmandu

Katmandu Newbie

While reading the A&A application, I notice it states that you should list the final expenses of the veteran which includes burial expenses. Does this factor into the deductions from income for the surviving spouse (under medical expenses) when applying for A&A. I am a little confused. My mother paid over $7,000 for my fathers final expenses (burial). Can I deduct that as an expense. Also, do home modifications for homebound persons count as deductions from income as well? We spent over $14,000 making modifications for my mother to live in her home after my father died. Thanks for any information on this topic.

2. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

Did your father pass away within the last 12 months? If yes, you can file for a small reimbursement from the VA (requires a different form). The application you are filling out is used for many different benefit programs, the criteria to deduct medical expenses for entrance to the A&A benefit is that the medical expense occurs every month, so no sense adding funeral expenses here. As far as home modifications I do not have any experience, but I believe it is limited to service-connect veterans.