Boy, do I need help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mary, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mary

Mary Newbie

My father was a WWII Navy Veteran. One year ago he had a ruptured Aorta and became completly dependent on my mom and myself. He passed in Sept 2009 and we had no clue we could get help for his care from the VA. My folks had been to the court house where the Veterans keep an office. The guy there admited to us after my dads passing that he let us down. Now my mom has had a stroke and is in the hospital. Before her stroke she had problems taking care of herself. The only income she has is from Social Security $1,200 per month. I just don't want to screw this up trying to get help for her. I copied all the forms. Do I wait until she is discharged from the hospital to start filling out the forms? Any help or guidence would be greatly appreciated. XOXO Mary

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Mary,

Where will your mom be going on her release, and who will be providing her care?

3. Mary

Mary Newbie

My mom will be going home. Either my daughter in law or myself will be caring for her.

4. Mary

Mary Newbie

We live in California.

5. pologal1979

pologal1979 Guest

Will she pay you as her care provider? Then use that as projected medical expenses.

6. Mary

Mary Newbie

I received the letter from the doctor stating my mom will need 24 hour home care and he stated everything she is going to need help with. I think it's a very good letter. My daughter in law will be taking care of her. Mom is still in the hospital and I'm not sure when she will be discharged. How do I figure out what the medical expense will be for caring for her at home. We have never done anything like this before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

7. pologal1979

pologal1979 Guest

about what the care will cost? that is hard to say. if the daughter in law will take care of mom, does she expect to be paid or will mom hire a caregiver from an outside agency. if its just the daughter in law as the caretaker, mom and her can discuss what is fair compensation and what she can afford.

8. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You need to contact care agencies in your area and find out what the going rate is for the same type of care and services she will be providing. Base what you charge on what is considered a fair market value in your area and do a bit of a discount off that. It is recommened that you draw up a contract of understanding.

She will need to write a check for the care being provided just as she would an outside agency. You need to keep excellent records as at the end of the year, you will need to be able to show how the money has been spent with a full accounting. The VA sends out EVRs every year which have to be completed to show that the applicant still meets the financial criteria. If you can't show that her medical cost still make her eligible, you could either loose the pension or have the amount awarded reduced.

9. jpez

jpez Full Member

you should also apply for Medi-Cal.
    her income is over the poverty line of 1100 so she would have a share of cost.
    but In Home Supportive Services could ALSO pay you to care for your mom, upto 283 hours at aprox $9.50 per hour.
    Medi-Cal would also incorperate the Medicare low income programs automaticly.
    These are FACTS.

jpez

10. Max

Max Hero Member

Her SSA is over the income limit. I suggest to hire in-home care for her or move her into assisted living or nursing care. If you can get her into either of these, VA can use these expenses as deductions against her income. Best suggestion is to apply and then VA can take a look and give you a better idea of what you need to do from here to move forward.

11. jpez

jpez Full Member

Max,
    Her SSA is over the California Poverty lime of $1133, BUT that does not disqualifty her from applying for Medi-cal. She would have a 'share of cost'. But she would meet that share of cost by paying for her Medicare Part B and Part D.
    Example: daughter states SSA income is $1200. Usually family quotes net so her gross is $1297 a month.
    1297 - 1133 = $164. sher is over the limit $164. But if she is paying Part B $97 and assume she has kaiser HMO at $110 then she has meet her share of cost and has $O share of cost.
    At this point since she is Medi-Cal eligible for Aged, Blind & Disabled Community Medi-Cal, they will pick up any uncovered health expense and she will have NO CO-PAYS with Kaiser.
    Her Perscriptions will lose the donut hole.
    NOW, she can apply for In-Home Supportive Services that will pay a family member of some one else up to 281 hours a month of CARE at approx $9-10 per hour.
    She can also hire someone using her $1200 a month of income. At $10-15 dollars an hour she will get approx 80 hours of cCARE.
    She can submit an application to Va for benefit since her income has reduced to ZERO. She can use the premiums as an ongoing medical expense if she wants.
    Having the Medi-Cal along with the Medicare Q1 and Part D EXTRA HELP Programs reduces the medical expenses that she is paying and frees up her limited money to pay for home care.

You may not be aware that in CAlifornia, we offer 18 different programs to seniors in CARE. Wer spend over 8 billion dollares on community programs. we only spend 5 billion on nursing homes.
    As a final and cruciasl point. Medi-Cal (and most states) do not count the VA Pension as income.

12. Max

Max Hero Member

I meant she is over the income limit for VA pension, not medical

13. jpez

jpez Full Member

FIrst it's Medi-Cal. Capital M a hyphen and a Capital C. Kinda a HUGE difference.
    Secound, your relpy. That is EXACTLY the problem with the VA. SO WHAT if here income is over!!!!!!! This post is about hiring CARE, which would reduce mom's income below the limit. By making the statememt you made, you are repeating what families go thru EVERY DAY with the VA. "your income is too high."
    Tell me, did any of the following posts give incorrect information? NO. all of them explained how to reduce the income to qualify.

Then you recommend that she 'wait to pay care and submit an app and 'let the VA help figure it out" YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING???? THis is the samer VA that sheredded apps in the majority of it's offices?
    And can the VA be SO out of touch as to not relaize that this woman needs CARE now!
    What I find interesting is that you jump on and answer 30 posts, most of your answers merely mimick the answers already posted.
    Yet you have not answered the question asked to you where you threatened to 'prosecute'.

14. Max

Max Hero Member

Sorry Mary. I apologize for provoking jpez into trying to turn your question into a shouting match. If you want some more info about how the pension center in St. Paul would process your application, just send me a private message and I would be happy to walk you through it.