Both parents moved to Assisted Living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Atlanta_Mike, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Atlanta_Mike

Atlanta_Mike Newbie

My mother (77) and step-father (82) have recently been moved to an assisted living facility after my step-father had a "mini stroke". He initially lost 90% use of his left arm, his vision is now disturbed and his left leg is at about 50% use. We all fear that a second stroke is lurking nearby... My mother is suffering short-term memory loss but has not (yet) been diagnosed with Altzheimers. Both need help getting bathed & dressed and neither of them should cook. Neither of them are able to safely drive.

The cost of the facility is $1,550 more than their current combined income (his VA compensation + both have Social Secuirty income). Prescriptions and co-pays cost everytime we turn around. They do have some investments to lean on but we're concerned about the longevity of funds.

A few questions:

1) My step-father says the VA should be notified that he is disabled and that his doctor will write a letter. Is "VA disability" a non-service related benefit? He is currently drawing "regular" compensation.

2) From the summary above, is there anything else I should detail in our application for A&A?

3) Both parents need a scooter type solution. Kaiser (their HMO insurance) has said that there is a lot of red tape in getting one and it may not be fully paid for. Any suggestions on VA or Medicade assistance?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike.

2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

A few questions:

1) My step-father says the VA should be notified that he is disabled and that his doctor will write a letter. Is "VA disability" a non-service related benefit? He is currently drawing "regular" compensation.

This website focuses on the ‘aid & attendance’ associated with non-service connected pension. You stated that your step-father is receiving compensation. If he is rated service-connected at 70% or greater; or if he is requiring the ‘aid & attendance’ due to his service-connected disability, at any rating the VA will pay full cost for his assisted care cost and/or nursing home cost.

2) From the summary above, is there anything else I should detail in our application for A&A?

I would need answers for the above questions before I can offer any additional info.

3) Both parents need a scooter type solution. Kaiser (their HMO insurance) has said that there is a lot of red tape in getting one and it may not be fully paid for. Any suggestions on VA or Medicade assistance?

If your step-father requires a scooter due to his service-connected disability or if he starts receiving non-service connected pension with the ‘aid & attendance’, the VA will provide him a scooter at no charge.

The Veteran Advocate