Beginning the Process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ksflygirl, Jul 18, 2016.

1. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

I didn't think I would be utilizing the wonderful services of this board again, but here I am. I completed this process over 5 years ago on behalf of my mother (my Dad was a deceased vet) but sadly she passed away before she was awarded anything. Now I am here because I am going to work on completing another application for my father in law.
    Here's his story. He is 90 years old, a WWII vet. He fell and broke his hip in February, surgery and then rehab for 6 weeks, got a UTI rehospitalized for 6 days, rehab for another two. Returned home where he lives alone in May and in June fell again and had a compound fracture of his finger, more surgery six days in the hospital. For all of the above we feel it is time for assisted living. He has a tremor, so difficulty preparing food and eating, fall risk, renal failure, deaf and high blood pressure. After researching many places the one that was a good location, nice and most importantly had "all inclusive" care is $4400/mo for a studio. He has 26,000 in savings and checking and no other assets, SS of $1550 and a small pension of $350 for a total of $1900/mo income.
    From these boards and my prior application "experience" I think he should easily qualify. Am I missing anything?
    Our plan is to have him go into ALF Aug 1 and then mail in Intent to File. Then submit application and pay each month with his savings and SS, hoping of course that he is awarded sooner than later (I will file expedited as he is 90)
    Am I being too optimistic? If he exhausts these savings and doesn't get awarded the A and A he will have to get a Medicaid bed. Anyone feel free to share your opinions, I just pray that this vet can be taken care of in his final years.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

I do not know what his other pension is that he is receiving, but from what else you have described it seems he would qualify. You should definitely get on the Intent to File straight away if you are planning on using that, otherwise if he is going in Aug. 1st, you could just do the entire application once he is moved in to the ALF. Definitely file expedited!

If you are looking for other options in his area in order to find the best fit for him and his financials, I would highly recommend using SeniorAdvisor.com. I have a link in my signature below, it's the 866 number you would call. It is a completely free service.

3. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply. Can't file until Aug 1 really since that's when we establish that care that qualifies his need right? Will send Aug 1 and get paperwork together and send in after that. Hoping it won't take too long... Do you really think expedited helps? Thanks again!

4. Kaylin

You're welcome! Yes, expediting due to advanced age really helps. If nothing else, if you don't receive any communication of award of the benefit within 3 months or so of sending in that application with the expediting request, you can get your state senator involved where the applicant lives and tell them you need a senatorial inquiry because of an expedited claim for the Aid and Attendance benefit, which the VA has to respond to within 1 month.

5. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Preparing admission papers to ALF and cover letter for physician explaining our assessment of what our vet might need at the facility. After falling twice, obviously he is a fall risk and will need attendance as he showers. He could take his medications, but is it better in terms of our VA application that he receive assistance with this? Certainly it would be better to ensure that he is taking them at the proper time etc. Thoughts or experiences on this? How many ADL's does the VA need to see that the vet needs help with?

6. Kaylin

I cannot give advice on whether it is best that he receives assistance with his medication or not, as I'm not at liberty to say. If he already needs assistance with ADL (activities of daily living) like showering, then the VA should see that he would qualify for the benefit. There's no set number as to how many ADL's the VA needs to see in order to award the benefit. Just one ADL should technically do.

7. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Ok now I have spent more time catching up on the Boards. Which form should I be using to apply? I see an EZ form also. For my mother I submitted VA Form 21-534. Want to make sure I do the right application.

Kaylin likes this.
  8. Kaylin

The 21-534EZ form is the best one to use for the surviving spouse application as it is the most widely used and known by the VA for this particular benefit.

9. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

My father in law is the veteran not the surviving spouse, so do I want a different firm and if so which one?

10. Kaylin

11. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Kaylin likes this.
  12. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

On my father-in-laws discharge page there is a number called "Army serial number" is this his "veteran service number"? This is from 1946.
    Also, on the Intent to File document, can I put in my cell phone and email for preferred contact information?
    TIA.

13. Kaylin

For the Intent to File, you can certainly use your cell phone and email for preferred contact. Just make sure to also include an Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to Third Party 21-0845 when you submit the full application with your information listed on the form as the third party contact.

As for the veteran service number, that sounds correct to me. Just make sure to leave the VA File number blank as they will enter this information at the processing center.

14. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Father-in-law moved into Assisted Living Aug 1. Mailed Intent to File same day. Meet with VA rep on 8/10 to have her review my paperwork, "stamp" and send. With SS and small pension he has about $1912/ mo. 24,000 in savings. Facility charges out $3000 for room and board basically, and $1000 in care. He will be paying $2000/mo out of savings while we wait for Aid and Attendance to be awarded, Can VA award less than the $1788? And if so, for what reasons?