Applying for A and A

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by Fkampf, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Fkampf

Fkampf Newbie

Hi I just found out about the a and a benefit yesterday. I spoke to an organization last night and found out they charge $1475 to assist with the process. That's a lot of money. I was looking for advice in the difficulty of doing this on your own and thoughts on paying that money to the organization for help.

My dad has dementia and lung cancer. He only gets social security... No other income.. He does own his house but it's only worth about 40k

The organization claims they get approval in half the time (4 to 6 months). But I see on this forum that some folks received benefits in less time than that.

Thank you very much!!!

Fred

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Fred,

Do not use this company. It is illegal to charge for assistance with making this application, and there isn't enough work involved to justify the fee they want to charge. All of these companies claim they can get the application done faster, it's part of their sale pitch.

If you follow the website, and use these forums, you will be able to complete the paperwork on your own.

Everything you need is on the site and here on the forums.

His house does not count as an asset, so as long as he is paying for in-home or facility care and those expenses exceed his monthly income, he should meet the income criteria.

Don't let this company take advantage of you.