Apply for Medicaid; will VA benefit be denied?

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by toxdoc49, Jun 14, 2016.

1. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I have the VA application basically ready to go, just need information to send along if my mother in law goes to an assisted living facility. But I also wanted to apply for Medicaid for her. Is this going to void any VA benefit she might get? I am not sure. thank you for anything.

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

toxdoc49,

Your mother is not going to get the full benefit and full Medicaid, the state will only allow $90 max for the A&A benefit if your mother were to also go on Medicaid. This $90 must be spent on personal care items only (body soap, laundry detergent, Depends, etc.). One benefit may be higher than the other, which you may want to consider before applying for both. The Medicaid amount would vary state by state.

toxdoc49 likes this.
  3. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

Thank you for your answer! I will have to find out if they know the Medicaid amount before I consider applying

Kaylin likes this.
  4. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I had also read that yes, the VA benefit does go down to the 90.00, but that you do not lose the benefit, it just goes directly to the assisted living facility minus the 90.00 and somehow if Medicaid is involved with paying, that is worked out. Is this wrong?

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

toxdoc49,

The assisted living facility is and never should be paid directly the A&A award money for the applicant. The money should always go directly to the applicant. You are correct, though, in that the benefit is still tied to the applicant, it would just be reduced to $90.