Answering form questions concerning nursing homes

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Scott C, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Scott C

Scott C Newbie

I have a couple of questions about the details of answering questions on forms relating to applying for aid and attendance benefits for the surviving spouse of a veteran.

In Form 21-534 SECTION VI, question 32a asks if the applicant is now living in a nursing home and 32b asks the name of the facility. If the applicant is living in an assisted living facility should you answer yes and note that it is an assisted living facility. Since veterans aid and attendance benefit will possibly pay for a nursing home or an assisted living facility should I understand that this question is actually asking whether the applicant is currently living in either of these?

The same issue occurs in Form 21-2680. Question number 25 asks if the applicant requires nursing home care. Since we are seeking aid and attendance to help pay for her assisted living facility should I answer yes and specify that it is an assisted living facility? I'm concerning that if I answer no for her requiring a nursing home that it will imply she does not need assisted living either since that is not asked in any question.

Thanks,

Scott

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Scott,

Yes, you can note that it is an assisted living facility rather than a nursing home. Just mark through all instances of "nursing home" and write "ALF" above them.

Same thing on your second question. You can mark "yes" and make sure you clarify it is an assisted living facility. You can also clarify this situation on your cover letter.