Annual Medical Expense Report ~ filed each year in place of the old EVR?

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by ww2daughter, Mar 8, 2016.

1. ww2daughter

ww2daughter Newbie

My dad is a 90 year old WW2 veteran who is currently living in assisted living. We have applied for Aid and Attendance. Dad wants to move to an Independent Living Community. He was told that once the A and A is awarded he will be able to move to the Independent Living Community. Somehow this doesn't sound like something the VA would allow. He was told by a fellow veteran that the VA doesn't bother you again after the A and A is in place. Isn't there a Medical Expense Report? Is there a replacement for the EVR? Any comments or suggestions? Thank you.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

ww2daughter,

Well, it's not a great idea. Yes, once the A&A is awarded, there is currently not replacement of the EVR in place to check what people spend their benefit award money on. Your father should be paying for care in one way or another while on the benefit.

This is basically a situation like this:
    Not wearing a seat belt while in a moving vehicle is against the law. But it really is your own choice to wear that seat belt or not.

3. Kaylin

Does your dad receive assistance with bathing, dressing, personal hygiene, transferring, or toileting? If so, the VA may count the Independent Living Community as a medical expense.

4. ww2daughter

ww2daughter Newbie

My father receives minimal help. Although he is healing from a broken back, he is mobile and walks without an aid. In fact, the reason he would like to move to a more independent setting is because he enjoys interacting and socializing with those that are more active. There are residents in the Independent Living who receive aid and attendance. They told my dad that after the EVR went, they don't report anything. I understood that I would be helping my dad fill out a Medical Expense Report each year to re-qualify and/ or to report changes. Assisting Living is considered a medical expense as you know.

5. Kaylin

Got it. Yes, you're right in that assisted living is considered a "care", expense as the VA sees it. That is what they are interested in, is "care" expenses.

6. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Independent facilities more times than not do not qualify as a medical expense.

Can appreciate his desire to have the social setting, but keep in mind, that Independent facilities are not "licensed care facilities".

Would not move Dad if getting this pension is critical for being able to pay his rent.

7. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

ww2daughter,

The moderators are right that independent living does not generally qualify someone for A&A (because their activities of daily living aren't limited). If your father wants to socialize with more active persons, here's an idea: Find a facility that has both an "independent living" side and an "assisted living" side. I visited three such places for my MIL. They were too big for her, but would probably be a good fit for your father. In these facilities, residents on the Assisted Living side can go to any activities for the Independent Living residents, both on-and off-site.

8. Kaylin

jscott,

Yes! Thank you for your suggestion. That is a great idea, ww2daughter. I have visited a facility like this before as well. It's nice.