ALS

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by hayanee, Feb 3, 2010.

1. hayanee

hayanee Newbie

I understand the Veterans Administration has benefits available for veterans that have ALS. I am writing this because i am the caregiver for this person and am trying to get him as many benefits that I can. The disease is progressing extremely fast after just being diagnosed. He was drafted in March 1973 did basic military service then went to Fort Gordon in Georgia until August, 1973. Went once a month to Ft. Hamilton in Brooklyn for three years. Then finished out for a total of seven years at Orangeburg, NY. Two weeks active duty in both Ft. Hamilton and Orangeburg per year. This is the information he has given me - hope it is understandable.

thank you for any information you can provide.
    Hayanee

2. pologal1979

pologal1979 Guest

ALS is a presumptive service connected condition for all veterans. Fill out a VA Form 21-526. Get a certified or original copy of his DD214 and current medical evidence which shows he has ALF and what his functioning levels are. File ASAP. If he is married, the wife can also be entitled to Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) benefits after he dies.

3. hayanee

hayanee Newbie

Will get to work on this right away. Thank you