Aid & attendance for Alzheimer's vet on Long Island

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by Caregiversunite, Oct 14, 2015.

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for this site! I want to get A&A for my uncle with Alzheimer's in a nursing home. Do I need to be appointed a fiduciary or can I just fill out another form? Does anyone know of a service on Long Island that would handle filing the application for him? Thank you for any assistance you can provide!
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member


    I'm glad you find to be a helpful website! You do not address the Fiduciary issue until the VA makes a ruling of incompetency. Fill out the forms needed for the application which you can find listed on VeteranAid's How to Apply page ( and mail those in, always return receipt. If the VA makes a ruling of incompetency, then you will go through the process of appointing yourself the Fiduciary.

    We do not recommend using an outside source to help in filing the A&A application, which is why this site was created to help people go through the application process themselves for the veteran and/or the veteran's spouse.
  3. Thanks Kaylin! For proof of income for his pension, I only have the monthly bank statement showing the pension direct deposit. Is that sufficient?
  4. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Yes, you need to include a bank statement to show proof of current "countable income". You are welcome!

Share This Page