Aid & Attendance Approval Processing time during times of war

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbyrnes44, Jun 28, 2008.

1. sbyrnes44

sbyrnes44 Newbie

Hi,

My Mother who lives in an assisted living facility in Pennsylvania after having a stroke applied for Aid and Attendance in January 2008. At the time of her application (and with all the required documentation) the VA stated that "your Mother has a strong application" for Aid & Attendance. He also said that it could take up to a year "during times of war" to receive approval. And everything I have read seems that it can take up to a year or longer for processing.

Can anyone who has received approval for aid & attendance share their experiences with how long the processing time took for them? Thank you.

2. SCD

SCD Newbie

Never heard that before, but not surprised by anything they say......My Dad's "approval" only took 8 weeks since we mailed in his (VERY carefully detailed) application...crossed the t's, dotted the i's.....But we are now waiting for the fiduciary process (since April)....which is needed since he has dementia. We mailed in our application end of Feb 08, approved in April 08....would imagine that would fall under "war time" as well???
    Main thing I learned was to never take anyones word for it, don't know how many times I would call and they'd say "can't speak to you...." this was after I did all the Power of Atttorney and 21-22a form etc....so I would just call back the next day, speak to someone else and get the info I needed. Just keep calling about the status.................

Good Luck!

3. nananorma

nananorma Jr. Member

SCD - What state did you apply in? I'm in your same time frame and situation. Running out of $$ quickly and getting concerned!

4. SCD

SCD Newbie

Hi, My father is in California....I live in Las Vegas, NV.....which of course confuses the VA. We sent our application to San Diego Regional, who then sent it to Reno then back.....But at least it was in 8 weeks.
    Yes we are almost out of money as well....at 2,500 a month and an income of only 1,200.
    Scary!!!!!

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

This delay in processing has reached a whole new level. The VA is under a lot of pressure to prioritize the claims of Iraqi soldiers and thus pushing the applications for the older veterans further down the stack of unprocessed claims.

Sad to say, but the thought being is that the older vets are less likely to have access to information, the ability to handle all the correspondence, and will either give up or pass away.

The estimated 6 months on getting approval gets pushed out further and further every day. Then they throw in the "Fiduciary" issues and somehow manage to eat up all of the average of the 2 1/2 years that a vet/spouse/widow will be in need for A&A. With an average of 1,369 veterans age 70 or older dying EVERY day, it is easy to see why the VA would wage this bet.

We are suggesting that you be proactive and request your Congressional Rep to submit a request to have your claims expedited due to hardship. Hardship based on health issues and financial burden.

You will in all likelihood have to go to the mat on this.

We as a nation are ignorant of how the VA is designed to cleverly avoid paying disability and pension claims all in the name of being the "Guardian" of those who have indeed "Bourne the Battle", and are now being dismissed for their sacrifice.

Nothing changes by remaining silent. You have to speak up and make your voices heard.

6. nananorma

nananorma Jr. Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Ms. Administrator! I decided to take action today and sent a letter to my Congressman. Hopefully, that will get some action going. I decided not to be silent and "wait" any longer. Maybe my voice will be heard and my mother will get the help she so desperately needs. THANKS!

7. SCD

SCD Newbie

I agree, Thank you so very much!!!!!
    I will also contact them immediately!

8. vetadmin

Glad to see you both taking steps to let your voices be heard. It is going to take a symphony, but I personally believe if there was ever a generation that can make it happen, it would be us!

Cheers to both of you!

9. nananorma

nananorma Jr. Member

You are so correct. Our generation wants things done - now. Our parents trusted everyone, didn't question anything, didn't think anyone would ever lie to them or cheat them or take advantage of them. Never questioned a Dr.'s diagnosis, etc.

I love it - let's form a symphony and play loud enough to be heard!!!

10. vetadmin

For clarification, we are not aware of any VA standard that states "During Times of War" applications would take longer to process. We suspect that this individual simply tried to offer a reason you would not argue with.