Aid and Continuing Care Communities

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by VAquestion, Oct 1, 2015.

1. VAquestion

VAquestion Newbie

My mother is 92 years old and recently moved into a Continuing Care Retirement Community. We were told that she would qualify for Aid and Assistance simply on the basis of living in this kind of facility. Because she is still in good health, her application was denied. Did the attorneys we consulted who specialize in eldercare misunderstand the regulation?!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

VAquestion,

Is your mother paying for "assisted living" care? This page may help you read up on the eligibility requirements for the A&A pension.
    http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

VAquestion,

What type of services are being provided to your Mom at this facility? I have concerns that the name of the facility has the word "Retirement" community, and that may be part of the issue with the denial.

4. Honor First

Honor First Newbie

I'm very concerned about this issue. I retained a VA accredited attorney to assist me in filing for A&A for my brother, who has suffered for years with mental health disorder. The lawyer just send me links to several VA forms, one of which VA Form 21-0779 which is the request for nursing home information. I was filling out the form today, hoping to send it electronically to the "senior care" facility, where I just placed my brother. I saw that block nine contains two choices for the person signing, is the claimant receiving "skilled" or "intermediate" nursing care.

While several of the staff are licensed nurses, they don't perform direct, hands on, nursing procedures. One of them has the title of "Wellness Coordinator" and she handles the client medications. She sends the prescriptions to a pharmacy that specially wrap the drugs for indicidual distribution at the facility. They have trained, but uncertified, employees designated to dispense the medications to each client.

I'm really worried, because the senior care facility costs over a thousand dollars a month more than my brother has coming in.

5. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Hello Honor First,

The concern suggested in this thread is that the name of a facility may not accurately describe the type of care provided. For example, many "retirement communities" are more like a resort (think condos with golfing, etc). Contrast this with the care given at a nursing home or assisted living facility (ALF). As a result, the VA may be skeptical, absent supporting info, about a facility whose name doesn't make it clear what care they provide. What matters is what type of care the facility provides, what care the resident receives.

In the case of your brother, what type of services does his facility provide for him?

Let me tell you what I did when I filed for my father, who is in an ALF and has dementia. When filling out 21-0779, I crossed out all instances of "Nursing Home" on the form and wrote "Assisted Living Facility" above it. On block 9, asking about the care received, I wrote in another block & labeled it "Assisted Living Services," which I then checked.

The Nursing Home Status Statement (again, mark out Nursing Home and write in ALF), and also the Physician's Statement (aka "Examination for Housebound Status....Need for A&A;" Form 21-2680) I submitted fleshed out what this assistance entailed (help with hygiene, showering, toileting, dressing, meds, etc).

Others may have handled this differently, but this worked for me with no questions from the VA.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted, Honor First. I wish you and your brother the best of luck.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017