Aid and attendence. DD215

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sadsam, Jul 10, 2013.

1. sadsam

sadsam Newbie

Hello

I am in the process of completing the application for aid and attendance for my dad. We have been told that a photo copy of his DD214 is no longer excepted and that we would have to send in his original or send away for a certified copy. I just wanted to check to see if this is accurate.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

3. sadsam

sadsam Newbie

Thank you for your reply. My dad had been told in the past that his original service records had been destroyed in a fire. He is a word war 2 vet. can I take it to my bank manager and get just get a copy certified there to send in with application? Do they except certified copies that way.

Anna

4. vetadmin

Anna,

Most of all those records claimed to have been lost in "the fire" are available through other resources.

You can get a notarized copy that has to state "this is a true and accurate copy" on it. Not sure if the VA will accept that, but it could not hurt to send off a request to the link I provided as there would be no issue with that copy.

5. dec290i

dec290i Newbie

The copies I received from the records center had a seal that had been pressure imprinted into the paper.It resembles the type of raised symbol that is left on a paper by a notary public when he uses his stamp to mark the paper and leaves it with raised lettering.

6. sadsam

sadsam Newbie

Hello

did it have written on it that it is a True and Accurate copy or just a raised seal.

Anna

7. dec290i

dec290i Newbie

The language True and Accurate copy is not on the document that I received.An enclosed letter said that " a portion of the record was among those recovered however it was damaged in the fire.We are enclosing a copy of the separation document but the photocopy is the best we can provide.A seal has been affixed to the separation document to attest to its authenticity."

The seal is not colored in ink or anything.Its just the color of the white paper which makes the lettering difficult to read since some of the other wording on the paper runs through it.I think it says National Archives Administration or something similar but there appears to be another word on there I cannot make out.Also there is the symbol of an eagle in the center of the seal.

If you make a photo copy of this paper the seal does not show up at all.The copy just appears as a black and white copy. I am assuming when I help my mother file this application I will need to send the one I received with the imprinted label.I actually received two copies of each when I requested both my fathers and stepfathers discharge papers.Both times it took about 10 business days to get the discharge papers from the time I requested them on line.I used eVets as I recall.

8. sadsam

sadsam Newbie

Thank you for the information. I may just send away for it. He has his original and I was hoping I could just get a certified copy of what we have. I called the VA and the guy I talked just said to send in a plain old copy of his DD214. But I have read that it should be a certified copy not just a photo copy. So I am getting told two different things. Confusing.

Anna

9. dec290i

dec290i Newbie

If you are still gathering other information go ahead and request the DD214 online.You should be able to access the site through this link. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ or you can do it on the SF-180 form .eVetRecs may only work through Internet Explorer browsers however.Once you submit a request you should receive an email with a request number of some sort on it.You would then print out a signature page to sign and then fax that to the records place.I received my Dads discharge papers in about 7 business days.I received my stepfathers in about 10 or 11 days business days as I recall.

10. sadsam

sadsam Newbie

Your information has been help full. thank you. I did request his service record and now I am going to fax his signature sheet back. Hopefully we will get it back as quick as you have. This is the only thing we need so after I get it I can send in the application.

Anna

11. vetadmin

I hope you know that you can do an "informal claim" that will start the clock on the effective date of the application.

You can find information and the form for doing this on the site in the FAQ section. If you get this off this month, you will gain a minimum of 30 days on his effective date.