Aid and Attendance and Spouse Pension

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jerrie, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Jerrie

Jerrie Newbie

My mom is a spouse of a 100 percent rated disabled veteran. He passed in 2001 and she has been receiving spouse benefits of his 100% rating since then. She has declined in health and is now in a nursing home. I have been reading about the Aid and Attendance and am wondering if she qualifies. She has $35,000 in savings. She receives social security and her pension and that is it. So she is in the negative every month and her savings is being used to cover it. Would she qualify for Aid and Attendance?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

It sounds like she might qualify, Jerrie. The main thing you need to figure out is if your father served during one of the approved periods of war for this particular benefit. I would recommend taking this short calculator quiz to see if she is eligible: http://www.veteranaid.org/aid-and-attendance-eligibility.php

3. Jerrie

Jerrie Newbie

So, I have found she is eligible. Can I send in 21-2680 and 21-534EZ and that is it, or is there another form I need.

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

Jerrie, you need to follow the guidelines we have laid out on our How to Apply page. There you will find the complete instructions on all the paperwork you need. All of the forms you need to apply are either on that page our our home page. http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

5. Jerrie

Jerrie Newbie

I went through that page and that is why I am confused. She is already receiving my dad's 100 percent pension that he got in 1967. All the forms on that page are like starting from scratch. She would not be receiving my dad's pension if they did not already have all that stuff, i.e., DD-214, marriage certificate, death certificate. She has been receiving his 100 percent pension since 2001. Are you saying I have to provide all this stuff again just to ask for aide and attendance. I couldn't even get aid and attendance if she had not already been getting a pension.

6. Jerrie

Jerrie Newbie

You also show a Nursing form needs to be filled out. I found out that you do NOT want to send a nursing form if they are in a care provider home, or assisted living. Sending a nursing form can botch up the whole process. A form FV13 needs to be sent for aid and attendance application for 24-hour permanent residence care, or care for the veteran/spouse inside their home or home of someone else.

7. Kaylin

Jerrie, it sounds like your dad had COMPENSATION if it has anything to do with 100% service connected. The A&A benefit is a PENSION benefit. Big difference. And yes, unfortunately it is a lot of paperwork. Because your father was rated 100% however, she is actually eligible for A&A most likely because you have to be rated 100% in order to get both pension and compensation. Sending a nursing home status statement form is what we always recommend and it is what the VA requires. Simply mark out all instances of "nursing home" and write "ALF" (assisted living facility) in their place. If she is using home care, you don't need this form.