Accrued Benefits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samsdad, Feb 2, 2016.

1. samsdad

samsdad Newbie

Through guidance from this awesome website, my father was granted A & A two months after we applied. The first 2 months were held pending the fiduciary meeting. He received A & A monthly deposits twice before he passed away. We have received burial benefits from form 21P-530. We are in the process of sending form 21-601 for accrued benefits to cover the expenses for assisted living and burial expenses for the 2 months that were held back for the fiduciary process since he passed away before the fiduciary meeting could be held. Do I list the $300 payment for burial benefits when form 21-601 asks if we have been reimbursed for any of the expenses paid from personal funds?
    Thank you again for all of the advice provided by this site. My father was so proud to receive A & A. He was a WWII vet who had never before received any services from the VA.
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Our sincere condolences on the loss of your Dad, and we are honored to have been a part of him benefiting from the A&A pension.

On the 21-601, you or another family can file for any expenses that you paid for on his behalf and are entitled to reimbursement. If you or another family member did not pay expenses, then you are not entitled to the back monies that were being held prior to Fiduciary appointment.

If you or another family member paid for final arrangements to include burial, you can claim that expense as well. The $300 is separate from accrued monies owed, so do not list that, only what the expenses were. You will need receipts showing the various payments made on his behalf.

Again, we are honored to have been a part of this journey and to have been of assistance to you, and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.