A few questions on the Financial Info required

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Mattkhat, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Mattkhat

Mattkhat Newbie

Hello,

I'm preparing form 21-534EZ to apply for the veteran's widow pension for my mom who has recently moved into an assisted living facility. She's 89 years old (turns 90 later this month) and I'm pretty sure she meets all the requirements to receive this benefit. I've been working on completing the form and have a few questions about how to report the financial information in sections 8, 9 and 10. My questions are:

Section 8
    • My Mom gets a few hundred dollars a month from an annuity she has, does the income amount get reported in Section 8 as income, or do I just report the balance of the annuity in Section 7 as part of her net worth, or do I report it in both sections?
    Section 9
    • In this section it doesn't list social security as an income source so do I list my Mom's monthly social security x 12 as expected income?
    • Is her social security considered gross wages and salary or other income?
    • How do I handle the monthly annuity income in this section? Do I report the monthly amount x 12 as other income?
    Section 10
    • I assume this is where I indicate the monthly payments to the living assistance facility that my mom is in? Do I just list the monthly amount we pay or the annual amount we pay?
    • We will be prepaying funeral expenses so I assume that total goes here?
    Thanks for your help.

Matt

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Section 8
    • My Mom gets a few hundred dollars a month from an annuity she has, does the income amount get reported in Section 8 as income, or do I just report the balance of the annuity in Section 7 as part of her net worth, or do I report it in both sections?
    • If it were me, I would advise reporting it in section 8 as income.
    Section 9
    • In this section it doesn't list social security as an income source so do I list my Mom's monthly social security x 12 as expected income?
    • If you've already listed your mother's SS income in a previous section on the form, this is not necessary to place here.
    • Is her social security considered gross wages and salary or other income?
    • Doesn't really matter where you put it on the form as long as it's indicated as SS income.
    • How do I handle the monthly annuity income in this section? Do I report the monthly amount x 12 as other income?
    • If you want to list the expected income from her annuity and SS - that's also fine. Just make sure it's clear where these expected income sources come from.
    Section 10
    • I assume this is where I indicate the monthly payments to the living assistance facility that my mom is in? Do I just list the monthly amount we pay or the annual amount we pay?
    • I'm sure monthly amount would be better.
    • We will be prepaying funeral expenses so I assume that total goes here?
    • Yes, you can list the funeral expenses (prepaid) under this section if you like. However - I'm not sure the VA will or will not count this prepaid funeral expense because they are really just looking for costs of care. Not sure if funeral expenses fall under this or not - but I'd be interested in finding out how they take it listed in this section.
    I hope that helps, Matt.