A and A denied

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by drdrizzy13, Sep 17, 2015.

1. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

I take care of my grandma who is a surviving spouse of a veteran, we got denied because I forgot to put how much she pays me to take care of her. She pays me in cash, does she need to start writing checks? What if she pays me monthly by paypal or google wallet? we just got the denial letter today. She requires 24 hour care. What do I need to do? Tell the VA how much I get paid to take care of her?? She does not even own checks......

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

She needs to pay you by check a set amount each month.

Use VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to update her information on her care expenses.

3. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

I believe she has receipts for what she has been paying me as caretaker. When I fax the form, do I need to include the receipts? Is faxing the fastest way to update my claim? They said she was approved for aid and attendance, but her income was too high.. However, I did not include what she pays me for taking care of her.

4. vetadmin

We don't recommend faxing as you will not have proof of delivery.

She needs to stop paying you in cash!

5. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

Should I include anything with the form or just the monetary amount? I will tell her to start paying me in checks.

6. vetadmin

You just need to show the amount being spent for her care, and note that the information mistakenly was not listed on her application.

7. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

The letter says "Please note that a finding of incompetency is proposed. If you reapply for benefits we will continue with this proposal" What is the best and fastest way to apply to be a fiduciary (sp?)?

8. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

should i include the receipts where she pays me or no?

9. vetadmin

Since they are just receipts, my concern is it will raise a "red flag" with the VA.

I would not include them at this time to err on the side of it not being an issue. If they in turn ask for them or something in writing, you can supply them.

Regarding "fast tracking" the Fiduciary process, there is no fast track.

What you do want to do is the following:

Once you receive notification from the VA that they find it necessary for a fiduciary to be appointed you should submit Form 21-4138 and include the following statement:

Please be advised that (parent's name) and I have no issue with the VA finding of incompetence and wish to proceed with the appointment of a fiduciary. We wish to appoint myself (her/his insert your relationship to the veteran) as fiduciary. I understand that I must be interviewed prior to that appointment and would appreciate such an interview be scheduled as soon as possible.
    At this point both (whoever is asking to be appointed) and the applicant will have to be interviewed by a VA Field Agent who will determine if you are an appropriate person to assign fiduciary to.

10. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I am getting worried that they will have a problem with the receipts... She doesn't have checks becuz she cannot sign her signature anymore. We usually just go to the bank and withdraw cash out. I guess if they ask I can show them bank statements. She does not pay me monthly more like throughout the month. And it is not necessarily a set amount of money (depends on what bills she has that month etc.) She requires 24 hour care so I get room and board. I guess I will just put the average amount she gives me a month? She pretty much pays me what's left after the bills automatically come out of her checking, because I pay the other bills for her. Wish me luck!! I'm not gonna include the receipts for now. Thank you very much.

11. vetadmin

Good luck with it all.

Keep in mind that paying you room and board is not an allowable medical expense. It is strictly what she pays you for acting as her caregiver.

12. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

oh yeah I didn't really mean she was paying me. She just lets me stay for free overnight and stuff because she requires 24 hr supervision.

13. vetadmin

drdrizzy13,

I am confused by contrasting statements. If she is NOT paying you to act as her caregiver, she is not going to have any expenses to claim that would make her eligible for this benefit.

14. Debsjourney

Debsjourney Newbie

I have a question not a reply, mom is going to file for A & A and has been living with us for 5 months. I have noticed over the previous months any medical bills that were supposed to be paid my brother only paid very minimal using her debit card from her checking account. Now all of the bills are coming to my house. How can I prove her assets are what she has paid for with no receipts. Does this mean I will have to call every doctors office she has been to in the last year before she came to me and find out how much she owed and if it has been paid?

15. vetadmin

A simpler way would be to ask her pharmacy to give you a print-off of her prescriptions for the past year. You can also look at the bills to see what the total amounts owed are,

Keep in mind that her RX's is just a small part of the equation. The weight of consideration by the VA is what she is paying for care.

16. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

Sorry didn't mean to confuse you. I just didn't mean she is paying me for room and board per se.. But I do get paid for staying with her 24 hours a day. She definitely pays me for taking care of her. Sorry about the confusion.

17. vetadmin

For VA purposes, she cannot pay you for room and board. You are not a licensed care facility. Whatever she is paying you has to be under the understanding for her "care". DO NOT list her paying "room and board".

One amount monthly to you as her "caregiver".

18. drdrizzy13

drdrizzy13 Newbie

Sorry about that last post it was a little confusing Sorry I'm confusing you lol. She is paying me to act as her cargiver. I'm just trying to say I stay here 24 hours a day she needs around the clock care. I meant to say she is paying me, i missed typed that. but she does really pay me for room and board she just lets me stay in a spare room for free. But she still pays me for the caregiving aspects.

19. vetadmin

Let me put this as plainly as I can.

She pays you "X" dollars a month to act as her caregiver. It does not matter that it is 24 hours, or that you live there for free. She pays you "X" dollars a month to act as her caregiver.

20. Bevy

Bevy Newbie

Have a question here too. If as she states her mother pays her cash, what will she need to provide VA? My Dad also only uses checks for his bills, but pays his caregivers including me with cash. What to do?

Kaylin likes this.