A&A claim

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by daughter of veteran, Nov 12, 2015.

1. I am my father"s caregiver he is 93 and has dementia but gets along well. walks with cane in house but needs wheelchair when out of house. I have submitted a claim and fear I did it wrong. What they are asking for now is additional evidence? What does special monthy compensation mean? That portion was not clear to me in the initial request-started July 9, 2015. They gave me an address in North Carolina but dont know what form to use. What we need is compensation for the inhome care we provide. Dad is a WWII vet and has been classified 100% disabled. Thank you

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

If Dad is rated 100% service-connected disabled, then you would not have had to go through the entire application process. Would have only needed two documents. VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim, and VA form 21-2680 Physician's Evaluation. Both would have needed to state that he now requires the assistance of others for his daily living.

If less than 100% service-connected then he cannot have both "compensation" for injuries, and "pension", which is A&A.

If there is a number on the form you received, you should call it and try to get a better understanding of what they are asking for.

A little more information here as to what your Dad receives from the VA in compensation, and what you actually applied for on his behalf, as I think there is some confusion here.

3. What I have found today is the Elder Resource Benefits Counseling on line and have scheduled an appointment for 10am today. Hopefully they will correct what I have done wrong if anything. Still not sure what the VA means by processing dads claim under standard claim processing procedures. Could not find any reference to that anywhere. They also mentioned in this letter that I probably meant to apply for special monthly compensation due to dad being housebound and in need of aid and attendance. Crazy making language for a civilian, because they said that process goes through my local regional benefits office......Nowhere in the process of applying for A&A does it guide me or anyone for that matter in the right direction! My goal is to not give up because this is for dad.....thank you.....the saga continues.

[uote author=vetadmin link=topic=3401.msg13867#msg13867 date=1447343110]
    If Dad is rated 100% service-connected disabled, then you would not have had to go through the entire application process. Would have only needed two documents. VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim, and VA form 21-2680 Physician's Evaluation. Both would have needed to state that he now requires the assistance of others for his daily living.

If less than 100% service-connected then he cannot have both "compensation" for injuries, and "pension", which is A&A.

If there is a number on the form you received, you should call it and try to get a better understanding of what they are asking for.

A little more information here as to what your Dad receives from the VA in compensation, and what you actually applied for on his behalf, as I think there is some confusion here.
    [/quote]

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm glad you scheduled an appointment with Elder Resource. They will help you get this straightened out.

When the VA says they are processing as a "Standard Claim", they are saying it was not complete and did not qualify as a Fully Developed Claim for faster processing.

Yes, their language is very misleading and confusing all in the same sentence. It's a standard ploy of theirs.

Never give up. Your Dad "earned" this benefit. The VA counts on folks giving up!