A&A APPROVED IN 3 WEEKS...12 MONTHS PRIOR APPROVED...IT REALLY DOES HAPPEN!!!

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by NANAPATOK, Apr 16, 2012.

1. NANAPATOK

NANAPATOK Newbie

My dad was approved for A&A in 11 days, and we were just thrilled. With the approval letter, there was a notice that Dad probably qualified for 12 months prior benefits, so, of course, I sent that in immediately. That was September 1, 2011. After getting no followup, I sent an inquiry in November, 2011 to the IRIS.Gov site and got the form letter stating they were busy and had a lot of cases and it might take a long time depending on various factors, etc. I told them at the time I had trouble providing information because the site would not let me input his VA File #, SS #, or Military #. Sent another inquiry as to the status of his case in January, 2012...got the same reply...the case is open and being reviewed, etc. I told them again I was unable to input his File # and supplied it in the question box along with my inquiry. I sent another inquiry in April...it's been 9 months now...got the same form reply...it usually takes 120 days to review, etc. even though it's been twice that long now. This time I got a second reply stating that they finally (after 9 months) figured out why I couldn't input my dad's File #...they had his application filed under 2 different names and that was an easy mistake because they have over a million names filed. His name is very distinctive, not like it's John Smith, so I have no idea how they managed to do that or why they didn't file it under his VA #, his SS #, or his Military # since no one has those numbers except him. They still say his file is open and being reviewed, but we haven't heard anything other than that. I know for an absolute fact that I sent in everything they requested and it should only take a few minutes for someone to review the application and see that it is in order and that he qualifies instead of 9 months being lost in the system. I'm hoping someone will feel quilty over the total incompetence that caused it to take so long and actually look at my dad's application now. I make it a point to be soooo nice when I make an inquiry even though it makes me feel a little bit snippy when I get those same dang form letters repeatedly. Thanks for letting me vent!!!
    Pat

2. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

Re: A&A APPROVED IN 3 WEEKS...12 MONTHS PRIOR 9 MONTHS AND STILL WAITING!!!

You can go to the ebenefits page and register. you will need your Va file number and SS# and .You get your own ebenefits page. They show when they received your applications and what stage it is. this is the web address:
    https://www.ebenefits.va.gov
    From what I am hearing the prior 12 months takes longer.

3. katy225

katy225 Newbie

I applied for the 12 months prior for my Dad also but that was in Feb. He received that same letter stating it would take 220 days for the development stage. Haven't waited as long as Pat but it doesn't appear to be something of a priority for the VA. Looks like it will be a long wait too. Hopefully my Dad will still be around when it comes through.

As far as the ebenefits? That appears complicated to register. Seems as if you have to verify your identity in person. It's difficult enough to wheel my Dad to the doctors much less the place where the nearest VSO office is. Even if he did use the ebenefits, how would that help? You would just get the same answer as emailing them. The only difference would be you wouldn't have to wait 5 days for a canned, form letter reply.

4. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

No you do not have to go in person. We did not.We first got the basic account and the next day we called and they asked the veteran some questions and we got the premium account.
    That is what they told us to on the phone. I like it because our congressman wrote them a letter last week and it showed this morning it was received on our ebenefits page.
    Call 800-477-8227 if you are interested. It is what ever you feel comfortable with.

5. katy225

katy225 Newbie

There must be something wrong with the site. Tried to register for the basic account and it wouldn't go through. I'll try again later.

Thanks for the phone info!

6. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You are better off doing it in writing and sending it than using the VA's system.

Nana, you need to have your Dad's Senator make an inquiry on his behalf.

7. NANAPATOK

NANAPATOK Newbie

Finally found the right person at Dad's State Senator's office to contact for help and got their forms filled out and returned...not quite as difficult as the VA application, but definitely not easy. Now more waiting and hoping!

8. vetadmin

Hopefully there won't be much more waiting until you can get an answer.

9. NANAPATOK

NANAPATOK Newbie

I sent a Privacy Release Form by email to the special liason specifically in charge of dealing with government agencies at Senator Tom Coburn's office along with a letter informing him about the problems we are having with VA. It has now been 9 months since VA received my dad's application for prior benefits. I have made an inquiry every 3 months and gotten the same standard form reply that it is being processed, it may take a long time, they are busy, it usually takes 120 days (it has been more than twice that long now), they had his name misfiled in 2 different locations, etc, etc, etc. I'm guessing it wouldn't take any longer for someone to actually review his application and approve it than it would to send the form letters. We received a reply from Senator Coburn's office the very next day saying they had made a Congressional Inquiry on my dad's behalf and would let us know immediately when they received any communication in any form from VA. Keeping our fingers crossed and waiting impatiently!

10. vetadmin

Senator Coburn's office is very good. I have gone to DC and met with him before about A&A. Hopefully he will get to the bottom of it for you. Keep us posted.

11. NANAPATOK

NANAPATOK Newbie

We got a form letter in the mail yesterday from VA saying basically that my dad's application was open and in the developmental phase and they were working on it. It's been 10 months now since I sent in the application for 12-months prior benefits. I've noticed that many people say they get these form letters routinely, but we've never gotten any correspondence at all from VA regarding the application until now. I choose to be positive and hope it means they have actually located my dad's application and are perhaps actually working on it after 10 months! It's been almost a month now since Senator Coburn's office made a Congressional Inquiry on Dad's behalf...don't know if that got things moving or not.

12. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

An inquiry from my dad's congressman got things moving so I would guess that the inquiry from your senator's office did make a difference. A VA employee at the general 800 # told me he's seen things really move once staff from an elected officials office gets involved.

13. NANAPATOK

NANAPATOK Newbie

Re: A&A APPROVED IN 3 WEEKS...12 MONTHS PRIOR 10 MONTHS AND STILL WAITING!!!

YAY! Finally got a reply from the IRIS.Gov site where I sent another inquiry and it sounds very promising. I think perhaps things are actually moving along at last. I hope this means there will be a letter in the mail very soon saying the application for 12-months prior benefits was approved. All the other replies always just said Dad's application was in the Development Phase and that could take a long time depending on various things. At least this one makes me think they actually found the application and looked at it.

This is the email answer I received yesterday:

We received your father's Pension claim on September 6, 2011. His claim is in its final stages as a rating decision was completed on June 21, 2012. Please understand we have a system in place to be sure that before his claim is finalized, we review it for accuracy. Once we have reviewed and approved it, he will receive a notification letter in the mail.

For most claims, the Notification Phase is between 10 and 40 days. Your father's Notification Phase began June 21, 2012. The length of time it takes to complete the Notification Phase depends on several factors, such as the type of claim filed, the number of disabilities you claimed, and VA’s pending workload. A claim may take longer in this phase based on the specifics of your claim.

14. vetadmin

Re: A&A APPROVED IN 3 WEEKS...12 MONTHS PRIOR 10 MONTHS AND STILL WAITING!!!

Well here is to hoping that you get that answer soon, and please let everyone know how things turn out. Fingers crossed!

15. Greg Silvers

Greg Silvers Guest

Re: A&A APPROVED IN 3 WEEKS...12 MONTHS PRIOR 11 MONTHS AND STILL WAITING!!!

Sorry to hear of your problems. I am having the same problems, last Oct 2011 I applied for my mother and I as of today August 2012 haven't received anything other than letters stating they received the claim. My mother needs help in her home now that I am doing for her and to be honest it is really a strain on my household. I wish there was a way to speep this process up. If anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful.

16. vetadmin

If you have not done so already, you need to contact her Senator and ask them to do an inquiry on the status of her application. You will get more results from that than anything else.

17. NANAPATOK

NANAPATOK Newbie

Re: A&A APPROVED IN 3 WEEKS...12 MONTHS PRIOR APPROVED...IT REALLY DOES HAPPEN!!

Well, Debbie, it's HAPPY DANCE time!!! On August 15th, 2012, a few weeks short of a year after applying for 12-months prior benefits, it really happened! We got a letter from VA approving my dad's application and went online to check his bank account. To our shock and amazement, there was a whole year's pension in Dad's account. My sister and I were just elated and my dad was so relieved and happy. Not only did VA approve 12-months prior benefits, they also approved the two months I requested for when I sent in VA Form 21-4138 Informal Claim to start the process. Originally, the Informal Claim was ignored and his pension was approved beginning when the application was received. Not only did VA approve the 12-months prior benefits and the 2 months back to the time of the Informal Claim, they also approved the request to increase his benefits from partial to full benefits based on the Medical Expense Form VA 21-8416 I sent in with a detailed list of ongoing un-reimbursed prescription co-pays. My wish is that my dad's story gives hope to those of you who are still waiting and wondering. I cannot possibly even begin to thank Debbie for this site! Every single thing I needed to know to apply for the A&A Pension Benefit, I learned right here. Because of Debbie and the support and information from others on the forums, my 87-year old dad who has Parkinson's and severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, can live in his own home where he feels safe and comfortable with the full-time care of his daughters who love him very much. We sat on the patio with Dad this week and watched a doe with 2 fawns in the woods behind his house, at least 12 different kinds of birds at the feeding stations, bird baths, and hummingbird feeders, and a myriad of butterflies in the butterfly garden I planted for him to enjoy. It is actually cool and rainy in Oklahoma in August...it just doesn't get any better than this! Pat

18. vetadmin

Pat,

Congratulations!!!!!

This is just the best news to start the day off with, and thank you for sharing it here, so that others will keep hope and continue to fight.

I could not be happier for you and your Dad, and I am thankful that my work helped to make a difference. Amazing what daughters can do when we stick together!

All the best to you!!

PS - Keep all your accounting straight for his EVR, and go watch those butterflies!