A&A + 1st VA Primary Care Visit = Fiduciary?

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by k2, Mar 28, 2016.

1. k2

k2 Newbie

I've scheduled an introductory appointment with the local VA Hospital for my 92 year old veteran Dad, a stroke survivor who receives a modest (but critical) monthly A&A check. I'm beginning to wonder if this was a big mistake because the doctor will likely report his vascular dementia which may trigger the fiduciary process.

A few years ago, my parents trusted an LPN with an unhealthy self interest who left them with more life than money (including a big tax debt for home care). Then they appointed me as their POA. In an effort to make ends meet, I scheduled this appointment so that we can start redirecting money for his Rx, OTC, and DME to the tax debt.

Does anyone know if they disqualify a candidate for fiduciary if they're still in the midst of resolving a mess? Do they disregard candidates who are unable to travel to the veteran's home?

Scarier yet... could they begin withholding benefits until the issue of a fiduciary is resolved?

Keep your fingers crossed for us, please?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

k2,

If the person asking to be appointed as Fiduciary has filed bankruptcy or been convicted of a felony, they would not be deemed a suitable individual to be appointed.

Not being able to travel to the applicant's home is not a factor.

If your Dad has dementia, then yes, they are going to require a Fiduciary be appointed.

3. k2

k2 Newbie

Thanks for the quick response!!!

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome.