Birthday:
March 17
Registered Nurse

Share This Page

Sunshine

Newbie, Female, from Saint Petersburg, FL

Sunshine was last seen:
Jun 21, 2017
    1. There are no messages on Sunshine's profile yet.
  • About

Birthday:
    March 17
    Registered Nurse
    I wrote the Survivor's Benefits and Aid and Assistance applications to get my 88 year old mother approved by the VA for these benefits. We started the process on October 30, 2014 when she started needing in home assistance for daily cares. Unfortunately, her assets exceeded $80,000, so we were told to apply again when her assets dropped. We were also advised by the VSO to keep track of all of her medical care expenses from 10/30/14, so we did. Once she moved into assisted living on 4/18/15, we sold her condo and again her assets exceeded $80,000. On 4/1/16, her assets had declined to $78,000, so we reapplied. This time, our VSO told us to apply for survivors benefits and Aid and Attendance. We were glad we had kept all of her medical expenses, as we could claim some of them on the application. In July, we received a request for more information. By then, I had found this blog, and I learned a TON! about what to do and what not to do. (Thank you, Kaylin!) We resubmitted in late July. In late October, they asked for MORE information that they hadn't thought to ask for in the previous request. This time, I followed instructions by some of you from the blog and gave them everything they possibly could request (even though the VSO said not to.) On 12/29/16, we received a letter that Mom was approved for the maximum benefit, and that she would receive some back pay, going back all the way to our initial application on 10/30/14. My advice to other readers is to follow the guidelines on this blog. They are very helpful, and the new organization/layout makes it easier to find what you're looking for. Best wishes!